This scholarship program is available to residents of Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte or DeSoto counties. Applicants must be either:
1) Graduating seniors from any high school in the above-mentioned 4 counties; or
2) Graduating Associate degree students from any state college in those 4 counties (SCF, Florida SouthWestern State College -Charlotte Campus, or S. FL State College-DeSoto Campus).
All applicants must be planning to pursue a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university on a full-time basis. Students who are already in college, or those planning to pursue a 2-year degree are not eligible. Listed below is additional criteria.
Scholarship awards will be based on:
- Demonstrated financial need (maximum allowable EFC is $12,000);
- A minimum 3.0 (unweighted) grade point average;
- High school (or state college) transcript;
- ACT or SAT scores;
- Evidence of personal growth potential through letters of recommendation from teachers and community members;
- Perspective on personal values and future plans outlined in essays; and
- A personal interview conducted by community leaders.
There are two unique benefits of the Selby Scholar program that distinguish it from most other scholarships:
First and foremost is the annual Selby Scholar Symposium, which each recipient is expected to attend. The next Symposium is scheduled for Tuesday, December 29, 2020, at 11:00 a.m. at Michael’s on East. This lunchtime event pairs students with local community leaders working in their chosen fields. It is a great opportunity for Selby Scholars to network and to learn more about their career paths.
The second unique benefit of the Selby Scholar program is that the amount awarded each year can vary based on the student’s current financial need. Instead of simply awarding a standard sum (as most other programs do), we calculate each student’s financial need every year to ensure that our award amount is optimal. This is particularly beneficial for second-year students, who often return to school without the one-time scholarship money they received as freshmen.
Selby Scholarships are renewable for up to 4 years, provided that the student maintains at least a 3.0 GPA while enrolled full-time (at least 12 credit hours per semester) at an accredited university. Renewal is not automatic, it must be re-applied for each year, but the process is greatly simplified. Renewals are due once per year in mid-July. Students will receive an email notification in June with a link to the renewal form, which requires a brief essay, confirmation of contact and school details, along with a current transcript and award summary for the coming year.